With the draft upon us, it’s time for Doc B’s quasi-annual mock.
1. Oakland: It sez here that despite all signs pointing for months towards the Raiders picking the big LSU QB with the first pick, a guy with high “bust” potential, they will ultimately come to their senses and pick the Ga. Tech WR, who is the odds on favorite from this draft to someday have a bust in Canton.
2. Detroit: The Lions are hopeless and with WR Johnson gone, their #2 slot suddenly loses its luster. They had great hopes of auctioning it off once the Raiders took QB Russell. Now they’re stuck with the consensus safe pick, OT Thomas.
3. Cleveland: QB Quinn wants the Browns but do the Browns want him? Russell did a youth camp with current Browns GM. It’ll be one of the two.
4. Tampa: Chuckie can’t believe he won’t have Johnson. Takes DE Gaines.
5. Arizona: Really wanted Thomas but will settle for something on D, like DT Okoye or try to trade down and pick OT Brown.
6: New England: Yes, New England. They trade CB Samuel and one of their first rounders to jump up here and snatch S Landry (and still have one more pick at the bottom of the first round. Skins love splurging on the most expensive player-du-jour and that guy is Samuel. They also get another pick out of it, which is essential for them.
7: Minnesota: They’ll take the second QB.
8: Atlanta: Don’t really know but RB Dunn won’t last forever, so maybe they’ll take RB Peterson to take some pressure off QB Vick.
9: Miami: Don’t care.
10: Can’t even remember who picks here.
11: Frisco: I’m thinkin’ they take DL Carriker for his versatility.
24 or 28: New England: With any luck there will be a decent ILB still on the board (Miami, Fla.’s Beason?) or a tempting WR. Some think they’ll go OT if either Brown (unlikely) or Staley (maybe) is still available.
That’s all for this year. First pick might already be made by now…